FMR Audio RNC 1773 is a compact and cost-effective stereo compressor with a high-fidelity audio path and compression scheme.
The FMR Audio RNC 1773 provides quality compression at a budget price.
How It Sounds
The FMR Audio RNC 1773 provides two modes of operation. One allows the FMR Audio RNC 1773 to be used for special effects, like snappy snares or popping basses. The other provides near-invisible signal compression for sensitive material where compression artifacts are less desirable (like natural vocals, acoustic guitar or the program bus).
The FMR Audio RNC 1773 yields clean, airy compression with few artifacts and little high-end loss, even at massive gain reduction! The amazing performance is why—even after almost 20 years—many professionals are calling the FMR Audio RNC 1773 one of the best sounding compressors for under $2000.
How It’s Done
The FMR Audio RNC 1773 achieves such high performance at a low cost by using using a microprocessor to replace discrete sidechain components (resistors, diodes, capacitors, opamps, transistors, etc) with chunks of software, thereby reducing the component cost. This approach, however, still processes the main audio in the analog domain, avoiding the problems associated with digital audio conversion (e.g., latency, digital artifacts). Even the problem of “scratchy” pots and switches are avoided: no audio flows through the front-panel controls. The front-panel pots and swtiches merely feed DC voltages to the microprocessor and it takes care of adjusting parameters and signal path with components—like sealed-relays and VCAs—located close to the input/output jacks avoiding noise pickup and audio quality reduction due to aging controls! With this blend of technology, the FMR Audio RNC 1773 offers the accuracy and precision of digital control with the clean tonal character of an all-analog signal path. The FMR Audio RNC 1773 ‘s digital control permits accurate repeatability of your favorite settings.
• Stereo compressor in 1/3 rack size.
• Accurate & repeatable 5-parameter controls.
• “Normal” mode for serious signal squashing. Very fast attack times allow positive control of percussive sources.
• “Super Nice” mode for near invisible compression. This mode cascades three stereo compressors in series to reduce compression artifacts.
• Single TRS-cable attachement to many “insert” jacks.
• 1/4″ TRS sidechain insert for special effects.
• No audio flows through front-panel controls, permitting short audio runs to avoid hum/noise pickup.
• Rugged extruded aluminum and electro-galvanized steel enclosure.