The TipTop Audio BD808 is the Roland TR-808’s Bass Drum circuit adapted for use in Eurorack format and tuned to sound like a machine that come fresh off the original 80’s assembly line.
The adaption to modular format has allowed us to add some special features like independent Accent level, a high-powered gain stage, dual input pulse-shaper and extended decay; all without compromising the signature sound of the TR-808.
The TipTop Audio BD808 is a really good sounding clone of the bass drum of the good old Roland TR-808 as a space-efficient 4HP Eurorack module.
The TipTop Audio BD808 is part of our new series of drum modules that brings analog percussion into the modular synth world, instantly turning your system into a self-contained music machine. Its small size, minimalist design and modern production methods have allowed us to bring the world’s most famous bass drum sound generator back at a very low cost. The real thing is here again.
The TipTop Audio BD808 is the Roland TR-808’s Bass Drum circuit adapted for use in Eurorack format and tuned to sound like a machine that come fresh off the original 80’s assembly line. The adaption to modular format has allowed us to add some special features like independent Accent level, a high-powered gain stage, dual input pulse-shaper and extended decay; all without compromising the signature sound of the TR-808.
A widely used technique with TR-808 machines is to run the drum sounds through outboard amplifiers to add gain and then pass the sound through just about anything to generate additional harmonics caused by clipping a distortion. In the The TipTop Audio BD808, we have already included this high-powered output gain stage capable of producing signals up to 20Vpp, extending from the original palette of sounds and allowing you to get an assorted array of harmonized bass drums ranging from sharp attacks to crushed tones using this simple yet effective technique. On the inputs, we have also designed a dual pulse-shaper circuit so you can trigger your The TipTop Audio BD808 with trigger/gate signals from step sequencers, clock dividers or any other pulse/clock sources. This saves you the need to shape the pulses sent to the module and ensuring the same stable sound at its peak power, regardless of differences in your pulse source.
All these little, but unique, features make integrating this legendary sound generator into your modular easy, unleashing the power of real analog drums and making those speaker cone shake.
– Much attention has been paid to keeping original behaviour while developing this direct clone of the TR-808 bass drum. The module recreates the punchy, rolling low bassdrum we love and can be pretty loud. Especially with accent and level parameters set to high values you´ll achieve levels of 20Vpp. This will of course overdrive subsequent units but you´ll save on distortions or gain staging units and will allow for a sound palette from mild and round to dirty and aggressive – quite versatile in sound.
– The gate input is normalized to the dynamic accent input. If nothing is patched to the accent input the bass drum will be played with highest velocity. On the other hand this allows you for adjusting the output level with the accent control.
– Controls for Level, Tone, Decay and accent level.
– Inputs and outputs: Gate in, Accent in, Audio output
– Measures and weight: 3U Eurorack module, 4HP wide